By: Markus Legzdins

Tuesday 19 December 2023

HSA Big Year - Month of September Summary (September 1 - 30)

September was quite the month for rare birds in the HSA! Birders gathered on strong east winds at Van Wagners, while on calm days, others birded their local parks and other migrant traps for fall warblers. 

The first new bird I saw in September for my HSA year list was a juvenile American Golden-Plover at Windermere Basin. George and I had been scouring the sod farms in Hamilton and Haldimand for this species but came up unsuccessful each time. Even to this day I don't think anyone had any luck at the sod farms this year, even though, I thought it had looked promising. 

On September 4th, I noted some of the first hawks beginning their journey south. Small numbers, but a good variety in just a short watch a few hundred meters north of the lake. A couple Turkey Vultures, two Broad-winged Hawks, two Sharp-shinned Hawks, a Cooper's Hawk, and a lone Osprey soaring high with the vultures. 

Broad-winged Hawk

In September, you can find great numbers of shorebirds in flooded fields or basically anywhere where they can find food (nutrients in the soil/mud). Since the James Snow Parkway flooded fields had been so productive recently, we decided to check it out to see what had changed. Water levels had decreased, exposing the nutrient-rich mudflats. George and I spotted two White-rumped Sandpipers among the many Semipalmated & Least Sandpipers. 

White-rumped Sandpiper


September 9 started off as just a normal day of lakewatching, but little did I know, it was going to be one of my best days ever at Van Wagner's Beach

I was the first to arrive. Heavy fog covered the lake, barely making the wave tower visible. There weren't strong winds predicted, I just thought to get out as it was the first moderate east winds in the past 2 weeks. Two hours into the lakewatch, six others had joined me on the viewing deck. (5 out of the 6 were under the age of 20 #youngbirderpower!!) We watched a MANX SHEARWATER fly around and eventually land on the water! I'm sure this is a moment that none of us will forget. We celebrated, high-fived, cheered, and could not believe what he had just witnessed. A bird many birders could dream of seeing on a lakewatch but now it has become a reality. 

Manx Shearwater - 3rd Ontario record!
Checklist for that day (video bonus) - https://ebird.org/checklist/S149490333

The streak of luck didn't end there. Later in the day, we had seen several Parasitic Jaegers and a single Long-tailed Jaeger. I counted 10 Sabine's Gulls throughout that day as well. The first one being spotted by Barb Charlton. Sabine's Gull was a lifer for me that I was really hoping to catch up with this year. Wow, they truly are special! 

adult - Sabines Gull! A plumage we rarely see in Ontario

An American Golden Plover landed on the beach and offered great views to many as it stood in one spot for a couple hours. 

American Golden Plover


While still at Van Wagner's that day, a report of an Eared Grebe came in from Oakville, a 12 minute drive from my house. I debated chasing right away and miss a good bird at Van Wagner's or stay till sunset and see the Eared Grebe on the way back home.... if it stayed. I picked the second option since it was found in a large pond and would likely remain there till dusk. It did!

Eared Grebe

The next day it was... gone! Phew, glad I could see it when I did. 

I and many others returned to Van Wagner's the next morning, hoping for a repeat of yesterday's crazy action. Obviously many hoping for the Manx Shearwater to make a reappearance or for something on a similar rarity level to show up. The winds were significantly lighter but still most people persisted throughout the day and were treated to an adult Black-legged Kittiwake flying with a group of Sabine's Gulls.

In the afternoon a report came in while we were at Van Wagner's of a Yellow-throated Warbler at Woodland Cemetery. This was a rare bird and it only made sense to chase it right away as it was only about a 15 minute drive away. Mourad and I spent a couple hours searching for it - lots of warblers but our target species was not seen again. 

In September I chased two reports of Connecticut Warbler; one in Hamilton in mid-September and one in Brant County at the end of the month. I spent a few hours at each location but they both seemed to evade me. As you can tell, chasing rare warblers in the fall is very difficult. 

On the 13th, north winds made for a nice day of hawkwatching. I had a nice raptor flight over my house with over 700+ Broad-winged Hawks! 

At Bronte Beach I finally caught up with a Black-bellied Plover that had been hanging around for a while. 

Black-bellied Plover

By mid September I was still seeing large groups of warblers. My last expected warbler species at this point was OCWA, which could show up between now and the end of October. 

While birding some fields around Oakville on the 23rd, I had 15 American Pipits fly over me. A new HSA year bird for me! Always nice getting local additions. 

On the 24th, I did some more lakwatching at Van Wagner's, influenced by the moderate east winds predicted. I saw some more Sabine's Gulls, a whole bunch of Parasitic Jaegers and an ARCTIC TERN! I didn't know it at the time - called it off as a Common Tern but since I managed to get some photos, it has been concluded that it was an Arctic Tern (Thx Brandon!). Only seven other previous records in the HSA.

Arctic Tern!

Parasitic Jaeger

Near the end of the month I did more lakewatching closer to home. At Arkendo Park, I saw my first Parasitic Jaeger in Halton this year and I was also lucky enough to see a Pacific Loon make a quick fly by.

The next day, I joined up with Jeremy Bensette to spent a evening lakewatching in Peel. We had 3 Parasitic Jaegers and a group of late Common Terns. 

On the last day of September, guess what I did? More lakewatching?! Yes. I noted recently arrived groups of Surf & White-winged Scoters, a couple more late Common Terns, and a nice sized flock of 21 Black-bellied Plovers flying around and soon landing on the beach at Hutches. 

So yeah - busy but productive month. 8 new species added to the year list, some I thought I would never see but the more you're out, the more you're going to see.

End of September HSA year list: 261

HSA rare birds of September: Added in previous months, added this month, have not seen.

Red-necked Phalarope (2) - Off Van Wagner's Beach (Rich Poort; Sept 1)

Hudsonian Godwit - Departed Windermere Basin on the evening of September 4 after being present for 11 days allowing many birders to see it (Rich Poort)

Whimbrel (1) - alongside 6th Road in Stoney Creek (Nick Giannamore; Sept 6)

Red Knot (1) - Windermere Basin (Rob Dobos; Sept 7)

Long-billed Dowitcher (1) - Windermere Basin (Rob Dobos; Sept 7)

MANX SHEARWATER (1) - Off Van Wanger's Beach (Adam Capparelli; Sept 9)

Eastern Whip-poor-will (2) - Roosting at Woodland Cemetery in Hamilton (Tristan Uchida; Sept 9)

                                            -  Roosting over Spencer Creek in Dundas (Sterling Sztricsko; Sept 14)

Eared Grebe (2) - Zachary Pond in Oakville (Dominik Halas; Sept 9)

                          - Off Van Wagner's Beach (Bill & Sarah Lamond; Sept 25)

Yellow-throated Warbler (1) - Woodland Cemetery in Hamilton (Sterling Sztricsko; Sept 10)

Connecticut Warbler (2) -  Pinetum Trail in RBG (Catherine Manschot; Sept 11)

                                       -   Along Mulligan Rd. in Brant (Jason Pizzey; Sept 25)

Acadian Flycatcher (1) - Confederation Park in Stoney Creek (Rich Poort; Sept 13)

Golden-winged Warbler (1) - Shell Park (George Prieksaitis; Sept 13)

Arctic Tern (1) - Off Van Wanger's Beach (Markus Legzdins; Sept 24)

Pacific Loon (1) - Flying past Arkendo Park in Halton (Markus Legzdins; Sept 27)

No comments:

Post a Comment